less fuss, Wardrobe & Beauty

how to have awesome bangs

this blogger teamed up with her hairstylist to show and TELL you exactly what to ask your hairstylist for. because, no one wants bangs that look like the bad haircut you got in third grade.

Okay, at the beginning of the week I encountered some questions about how to I keep my bangs from looking like “mom bangs”.  I think we could substitute “80s bangs” and “whispy bangs” with the obvious awful bang word association.  But, lucky for you–my hair girl (and great friend) is A-MAZING and during my bang trim yesterday she filled me in on the secrets to getting great heavy bangs.  She has had bangs every style, length, and color–so she knows bangs.

First off, if you are getting bangs like mine, you want to tell your stylist that you want heavy bangs.  And you might suggest that they cut the bangs with triangle sectioning.  Mine start at a point just a few inches from the crown of my head.  They are denser than I would have first thought necessary, but I have been told “piecey bangs are not cute anymore”.  Also, Megan (my hair girl) says that you want them to hit mid-eyebrow or below.  Good to know.  Here is a visual of how my bangs are sectioned and cut:

Now, when styling your awesome heavy bangs, you’ll want to use a paddle brush as opposed to a round brush (although, you can use a round brush if you need a tiny little bump or lift).  Check out Lauren Conrad’s Beauty Department for a great visual on how to blowdry your heavy bangs.  Megan tells me to use the paddle brush (use natural bristles if you hair is especially thick) and brush and blow to one side and then brush and blow to the opposite side until the bangs are dry.  It works magic on my bangs, y’all.  Magic.

One thing about bangs, they get funky while you sleep.  This is fact.  So, to save yourself a wash–simply wet your bangs and re-blowdry the 2nd day of your shampoo.  Another great tip is to spray just a bit of dry shampoo at the bang roots after you blowdry the first day of your shampoo–this keeps the oil at bay from the beginning.

Wearing your new heavy bangs can take some extra confidence.  Just know, they are supposed  to move.  They are supposed to be natural and super easy going.  Don’t hairspray the junk out of them.  Let them be.  You can carry a comb in your purse if you need to move them back to optimal place during the day, but I like my bangs to have a bit of je ne sais quoi and freedom.  I get mine cut every 4-6 weeks, and truth be told I generally eek out the full six weeks.  When my bangs are totally in my eyes and annoying, I just brush them to the side and say they are “side-swept”.   Oh!  And, Megan said not to wear heavy bangs with a side-part…it’s just too much going on.  It’s best to have your heavy bangs and then let your hair fall naturally from the crown of your head.

So!  If you want a super cute and really easy way to add style and spunk to your look–consider heavy bangs.  I LOVE mine and have received so many compliments.  If you want them, you can do it!  Have courage, sweet girl!

• Reply Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy March 22, 2012 at 7:03 am

Love this, Hayley! These are great tips, and that picture of you up top is fantastic. Thanks!

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:50 pm

i knew you would concur, my twin-bangs friend. :)

• Reply Carrie March 22, 2012 at 8:19 am

Love the bangs! They look fabulous and your tips are wonderful. I had heavy bangs about a year or so ago and I really liked them, but I didn’t have the first clue how to handle them. This post would’ve been great help then :)

But, of course, my silly husband doesn’t like straight bangs on me, so I decided to pass on them for a repeat cut. They look great on you though, and pretty much almost every girl on which I’ve seen them.

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm

i was terrified my husband wouldn’t like them…but he loves them. :) phew!

• Reply Megan March 22, 2012 at 8:36 am

WOO! So good. I love bangs. And I almost wish I still had that blonde hair ;)

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 8:40 am

girl, i was looking at that last night. SO cute! you can wear ANY kind of hair. love that!!

• Reply nest of posies March 22, 2012 at 8:53 am

LOVE your new bangs! I mean, LOVE them.

you can sure pull them off.
    you look fabulous.

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:48 pm

thank you! Megan didn’t want to cut them at first, she may not admit it…but i could see it in her eyes. i think she was nervous i wouldn’t like them. ;) but, i do, i do!

• Reply rachael March 22, 2012 at 9:07 am

love your bangs! good tips. also glad to know ‘wispy bangs’ are out!

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:46 pm

wispy bangs take me back to what i wanted in junior high (low commitment bangs!). :)

• Reply kendra March 22, 2012 at 9:27 am

I love them! I got mine back at Christmas, and thankfully my hair girl is a good friend, so she has come over for a few trims.
    I had no idea about the blowdrying from side to side. that is perfect!
    They make me feel like a rockstar. Like i could own a record shop or something. :)

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:46 pm

the side to side blowdrying is revolutionary. helps them lay “just so”. and i know what you mean–i feel like a stinkin cool girl with these bangs. :)

• Reply Megan at SortaCrunchy March 22, 2012 at 9:47 am

Your bangs are amazing. I feel like mine are too wispy, but now I see that I need to go for the triangle sectioning – that would make a huge difference.

And I am so happy to see that my top knot looks pretty much exactly like yours, and that makes me feel like I am doing it right! Your hair color is GORGEOUS, too. So rich.

Such a pretty lady, inside and out. XOXO

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:45 pm

friend, you are so kind. i LOVED your bangs when i saw them, just so you know. :)

• Reply christina moodie March 22, 2012 at 10:07 am

ahhhh! I just grew out my bangs and now I want to cut them again after reading this and seeing how CUTE yours are… what to do what to do

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:44 pm

that’s what my cute hair girl Megan said, too. she’s been growing her’s out, but feels so tempted to cut them again. ha!

• Reply carrie March 22, 2012 at 10:50 am

I love your bangs & that picture of you at the top of the post is amazing! I just might consider going back to bangs… it’s such a commitment though. thank goodness it’s just hair and it’ll grow back :)

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:43 pm

it IS a commitment…but, you’re right, it’s just hair. i’m thankful that it’s something fun to tool around with and that it grows back out eventually. i had a bad hair coloring mistake that took a full year to come back from. but, it’s all just hair in the end. :) xo.

• Reply Alia Joy March 22, 2012 at 10:55 am

Good to know. I have tried to get that look but my hair is kind of thin so my stylist had to go farther back on my head and then it looked funky! NOT in a good way. I may need to switch girls and try again because I think it’s so cute.

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:41 pm

i think a good hair girl is SO hard to find. megan and i experiment all the time–and i like her because she’s willing to experiment with me.

• Reply Ally March 22, 2012 at 11:46 am

i really needed to read this post! i had heavy bangs cut while i was nearly 8 months pregnant and they didnt look that great on me with my bloated pregnancy face, and i just let them grow out because they were too much work with a newborn and i wasnt convinced i really loved them. but now, 16 months later, i dream of having my bangs back, but struggle with how to style them, how “heavy” is too heavy, etc. but this just gave me the confidence to go for it – now that i know what to do with them! & if all else fails and they look terrible, it will grow back, its just hair! :) i am excited to make my hair appointment now!!

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:40 pm

i have a personal rule, hard learned through 3 pregnancies. never EVER cut hair dramatically while pregnant. i also have an amendment to that rule (after a particularly unfortunate decision during #3)–never COLOR your hair on your own while pregnant.

you should try it again…i think it would be a great confidence boost! plus, like you said…they grow back. xo.

• Reply Amy Payne March 22, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Ok, I just have to share this hilarious and fun song from They Might Be Giants — it’s a song about bangs. Seriously. “Bangs.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR5mgcRyv2w

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:38 pm

i’m going to watch right now. i think it will make me smile. ;)

• Reply {annie_loo} March 22, 2012 at 12:40 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the bangs on you. And the dark hair…loving it too…thought I’m still used to the blonde avitar…the brown is wonderful on you! Changes your look completely! Makes those blue eyes shine! Thanks for the tips!

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:37 pm

i need to change out my avatar. i try to only do it once a year so that people get used to it…but…it’s worth it for people to RECOGNIZE me! :)

• Reply Katie March 22, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I had heavy bangs for about a year and LOVED the way they highlighted the best parts of my face! I only traded them in for the pixie cut I had been dreaming of forever. Great tips!!

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:36 pm

:) you are a brave little thing, aren’t you?? i’m headed over to your blog to see this cute pixie cut!

• Reply Katie March 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm

oh dear, I have no photo posted! I’ll put one up asap! I’m getting new headshots very soon.

• Reply Heidi March 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I feel like I can’t pull off anything but a side part so maybe heavy bangs are out for me but they are soo cute!

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:35 pm

well, my bangs are so far back, that i truly don’t even really notice a part. i’ve only worn a side part for at LEAST the last 5 years…and it hasn’t bothered me to change it. so, maybe there is hope? :)

• Reply Mrs Amber Apple March 22, 2012 at 2:30 pm

ah, this is so helpful! i haven’t cut my bangs all the way… yet!
    but if i do in the future, this is so great to know!

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:34 pm

i cut mine really impulsively. :) it was fun and it felt courageous. i know it’s silly to feel courageous about something as frivolous as hair…but i really did!

• Reply Mrs Amber Apple March 22, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Oh no, I know what you mean! I started to cut mine a few weeks ago, and i did a little but i totally chickened out. i love doing a faux betty bang too much!

• Reply Tsh @ Simple Mom March 22, 2012 at 2:46 pm

When I got my heavy bangs a few weeks ago at Blissdom, people literally didn’t recognize me! They walked right by me and had to do a double-take. It was sorta fun.

But as I told you, they’ve sorta gone mom-ish. And now that I look at them, I think the girl at the Opryland didn’t cut enough. She did a good job cutting them, they’re just not quite as thick as I want. I just may add some more later today…

And I’ll concur that they look crazy after a night of sleep! I’ve had to get used to wetting and drying them every day. Something I’d rather not do, but honestly, it takes two minutes. I’ll get over it.

Thanks for this great post, Hayley!

• Reply Gussy Sews March 22, 2012 at 3:11 pm

ya know… i’d really like to see a photo of your hair in the morning ;D

• Reply Tsh @ Simple Mom March 22, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I’ll Instagram it if you will. ;)

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:33 pm

i’ll do it. i say we should all do it. ;)

• Rebecca (Foodie With Family) May 30, 2012 at 11:41 am

YES to the bangs. I was doing a shorter heavy bang and wasn’t completely content until it grew out part way. Then I would let it go too long and go back in to my hair gal (who is awesome!) and have her lob them back up above my eyebrows. Very extreme… very Amelie minus the choppy. Now I know what I should be asking for. Thank you!

And I have to go hurry and follow you all on instagram so I can see the morning bangs. Mine sometimes look like a shark fin!

• Reply shelley @ PARENTHETIC RHETORIC March 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Funny story: Two weeks ago I caught a few minutes of The Devil Wears Prada on TV. It was the scene when Meryl Streep rips the girl apart and then she gets a total makeover to jump into her role more confidently. Her blase “before” hair looked just like mine, long without much style. (Oh my, I said to myself). Her “after” hair was sleek with thick heavy bangs. So, of course, I walked right into my bathroom and chopped myself my own pair of think, blunt bangs. (This is why my husband threatens to hide the scissors). I must say — I love them. They make me feel like I have style again, even if I am just wearing a ponytail!

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:28 pm

now, THAT, is courage. :) but i am with you…i feel way cute in a pony or high-bun because of the bangs. i love that you did that. sounds like something i would do.

• Reply shelley @ PARENTHETIC RHETORIC March 22, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Ha. More crazy than courageous! Okay – what I want to know is how in the world to make a cool bun. I’ve tried and can’t figure it out. Yours looks so cute! A little tutorial? It seems like it should be a no-brainer, but I don’t get it. =)

• Reply Jen M March 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I LOVE heavy bangs and always have them, BUT I’ve also always had the side part. Uh oh! So what’s a girl to do if her side-part is the way the hair naturally falls? And what about naturally wavy/curly hair…okay or not okay to do the heavy bang?

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:32 pm

well, i think if you love your side part and heavy bangs–then go for it! BUT, i think Megan was speaking generally about most people’s hair. i don’t know about the curly hair thing. maybe i can get megan to chime in. :)

• Reply Amy Payne March 22, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I’m with you — I have a cowlick and wavy hair. My bangs have a mind of their own. :)

• Reply Megan March 22, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I’m here! OK so you can work with a cowlick. The trick is to blow dry your bangs RIGHT AWAY. Like step out of the shower and grab the blow dryer ;) Make them do what you want them to do. And the side-to-side blow dry is key. I also have curly hair and I honestly would let my hair air dry mostly and then just dry my bangs straight (granted my curls are more of waves than curly curls). OR just pin them back in a little bump or braid. Don’t stress too much.

• Reply Gussy Sews March 22, 2012 at 3:11 pm

HAYLEY you are a sassy mama, i love it!

PS. who carries a comb in their purse???

PS. love you.

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:29 pm

um–i don’t carry a comb in my purse…but Megan–my hair girl–suggested it. she’s always so cute, so how could i not pass along her knowledge? :)

• Reply Gussy Sews March 22, 2012 at 5:42 pm

good point. if the hair lady suggested it… one thing i’ve learned: hair people know their stuff!

• Reply lisa leonard March 22, 2012 at 4:48 pm

love love. a thousand times love.

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:53 pm

you, my friend, are quiet iconic for YOUR fabulous hair.

• Reply Lulu March 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Oh my goodness! i am thrilled, so excited, giddy for this information and tutorial !!!
    i just ordered the paddle brush!!!!

• Reply Lulu March 22, 2012 at 4:57 pm

P.S. Love your lipstick shade! Can you share the color and brand! thanks

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:30 pm

lipstick was $5 at ULTA (NYX Matte Lipstick “Pure Red” MLS08). :)

• Reply Lulu March 22, 2012 at 6:00 pm

THANK YOU!!!!!!

• Reply Anne March 22, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Great tips! I love my heavy bangs, and when it’s too hot, or they are just NOT cooperating, I pin them back with a twist, swoop, and a small bump on top.
    Another great tip: buy yourself some Redken Velvet Gelatine.
    It’s expensive, but lasts forever, especially if you are only using it to style your bangs. It creates that amazing, thick hair, solid look that is sooo great with bangs. I swear by this stuff. Just squeeze a small bead onto your hands, rub into your damp bangs, and blowdry as usual. Voila! Bang perfection. Nice matte finish, and they move naturally, so there’s no weird or stiff texture. It’s like magic!

• Reply Anne March 22, 2012 at 5:40 pm

umm, I swear I don’t own stock in Redken! haha, I just have never found a product that works so great on bang texture. :)

• Reply Tiny Twig March 22, 2012 at 5:52 pm

that’s fantastic! thanks for sharing. always love to know great product. and i’m with you–i just pin mine back if they are bugging me that day. so easy!

• Reply Jennifer Campbell March 22, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Being pregnant makes one want to do crazy things to one’s hair. I wonder if the “do nothing drastic to your hair” rule should also apply post-partum? HA! ‘Cuz I’m like, DYING to color it red (I’m naturally a dirty blonde), or chop it off, or even try the bangs thing (I haven’t tried them because I didn’t want to go back to my 80s little girl hair).

• Reply Kate March 22, 2012 at 10:29 pm

great post! great tips!

• Reply jackie March 22, 2012 at 10:52 pm

perfect bangs! also another tip is to have the stylist cut up into your band to add some dimension and piecy-ness.

• Reply Megan March 22, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I forgot this tip!!! Have your hairstylist cut them DRY! Always dry. If they are wet they will spring up and move in wacky directions. CUT THEM ON DRY HAIR!

• Reply Megan Robinson March 23, 2012 at 1:27 am

Your hair is so cute!! I’m pretty sure I should just take your picture to the salon next time I go and ask for your look :) thanks for the tips!!

• Reply Mandie March 23, 2012 at 2:11 am

Oh friend, you already know I love your bangs! I’m having a bit of a rough time with mine cuz my hair is so thin- I asked for a lot, but they’re still pretty piece-y, especially on the second day. I think I’ll need to ask for even more cut next time, but I do love them so! Thanks for being so cute ith yours & letting me copy you! :)

• Reply Rachel @ Married Living on a Single's Budget March 23, 2012 at 8:42 am

This post is SO helpful! I got heavy bangs a few months ago and love them (it makes un-stylish me feel a little more fashion-forward!) but I still haven’t figured out quite how to blowdry and keep them looking good for more than the first day. These tips are life-savers!

• Reply Lindsey Cazac March 24, 2012 at 2:21 am

I’ve got naturally CURLY hair. I’d love to try a bang, but I’m terrified of curly ‘horns’ and flyaways. The shorter it’s cut the curlier it gets! Is this even possible for curly-heads like me? Or will we just have ringlets as bangs?

In 5th grade I got a boy-cut shaved in the back, resulting in about two years of afro-hair. Ever since, I’ve been traumatized to cut my hair, and it;s been layered, below my shoulder. *stuck in a rut*

• Reply Andrea Howe March 24, 2012 at 11:13 am

That picture of you is amazing! WOWZERS! Great post. I so badly want awesome heavy bangs but alas, I have a huge cowlick right in the front and center of my hairline so it prevents them from falling nice and straight up front. My stylist and I have tried, but it just doesn’t work.

• Reply naomi March 25, 2012 at 6:11 am

I want bangs SO badly! I have to live vicariously through my daughter, who has stick straight hair, unlike me with ridiculous curls.

She just chose (on her own!) to have bangs cut and she is precious …

• Reply Jennifer March 25, 2012 at 8:26 am

I think I was seriously “led” to this post tonight. I just had my hair cut, and bangs trimmed, the other day and have spent three days avoiding the mirror as I just loathed what’s going on. I’m trying to grow out just a tad of them, but its been 6 long months of growing and I’m HATING it. So Thursday with the trim my hairdresser, who I love, framed my face with my bangs – and I hate it. So I took the scissors to them tonight and cut off all the “framing” stuff – they are by no means perfect (I’m going to go get them sorted tomorrow) but already I’m loving the change.

I love that you explained the triangle at the crown – it all makes so much sense! Thanks.

• Reply Ann March 25, 2012 at 3:17 pm

So…do you think heavy bangs like this are really possible if you’ve got fine hair? I love the way heavy bangs look, but my hair is so fine that I can’t imagine how much of it you’d have to include in my bangs to make them dense and heavy. Seems like my hair on the sides would end up looking flat/weak.

• Reply Monica Lee March 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Oh soul sister! So happy to have stumbled across you! Love the ebook and I have obsessed (and that is putting mildly) on my personal blog about my hair for some time now. I should be embarrassed but alas! I see hair always binds women together in some fashion! Happy to have found you!

• Reply Becky March 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm

OK, probably too old of a mama to be commenting on a hip, young woman’s blog, 40yo, but thank you a million times over for this info. Seriously, I have always had bangs like this and thought I looked drab and yuck. Now, thanks to you, these things that I have been trying to “do something with” all of these years are desirable. Thank you ever so much. I’m grateful beyond words.

• Reply Jessi March 25, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I’ve always had side bangs, but recently tried the heavy bang. Still getting used to it, but I’m definitely going to the try this! Also, I have a side part because I look awful with a center part and it still works.

• Reply Stacy March 26, 2012 at 9:17 am

Hey, Girls! This is my first time visiting this site and post. WOW!! More women like me who talk about their hair, various haircuts and styles, and love to share tips! GREAT!! So, my dilema…I LOVE heavy bangs…BUT, I wear glasses. I know, you are thinking…get contacts, Girl! BUT, I can’t. I had a bad eye injury/infection in my late teens/early twenties, and I will never be able to wear contacts again. SO, every time I try a fun “bang” style, it is a problem with the glasses. The bangs get caught on the frames; they lay weirdly; and they don’t seem to have the same beautifying effect as people without glasses. Now, it is possible that I am being overly critical of myself, BUT, would you agree that this is a little harder to pull off with glasses? I have not see a great heavy bang style on a girl with glasses. What do you think??

• Reply Tiny Twig March 28, 2012 at 10:09 pm

i wear glasses sometimes, too! this girl had awesome bangs AND sometimes wore glasses, too. search her archives. http://www.tazaandhusband.com/ i think you could totally do it! xo.

• Reply sam March 26, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Hayley, I dig this hairstyle & the red lipstick on you! Great headshot.

• Reply Emily @ Peck Life March 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I had been contemplating bangs for a while….and your post pushed me over the edge. I’m DOING IT!…..TONIGHT! I can’t wait! :)

• Reply Natalie@FourJedis March 27, 2012 at 7:20 am

Wow, I just finished growing mine out and you’re tempting me to cut them again… quite a dilemma! Hmmm.

• Reply Morgan March 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Inspired by your post (which I found after a friend pinned it on Pinterest) I’ve been lusting after ‘heavy bangs’ (I’m English, so we say a ‘full fringe’!) for a week or so now and finally took the plunge today. I need to wash my hair and style it myself (following your tips) but I’m feeling like I’m going to love it. If I can get used to the feeling of hair on my forehead, that is! Anyway, thanks so much for the post and the tips – yours look fabulous!

• Reply Leah March 29, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Aw man! This is a great post, i’ve been considering getting heavy bags, but the “no side-parts” kinda ruins it for me! My hair is naturally in a side part and just won’t do anything else :(

• Reply Kate March 31, 2012 at 10:15 am

Awesome post! I think full bangs are so sexy… on other women, but have always been too nervous to do it myself. I had bangs as a child and always hated them, but now after reading this, I’ve got a little more confidence to take the plunge and get some bangs!! :) Thanks!

• Reply Saran April 2, 2012 at 9:30 am

LOVE the photo of you with the bangs. I am a commitment-phobe when it comes to hairstyles (or it could be the fact that I am 7 months pregnant…that i changed my mind), so the heavy bangs I had cut several months ago are already on their way to being grown out. Not a single trim or attempt at a redo. Just on to the next. Perhaps, if you get to chatting with your stylist at your next trim, could you update with some tips on how to grow out heavy bangs?!?! I am at a loss. Mine are now to the top of my cheekbones, if I bring them straight down. NOT realistic, but I hate them side swept, because they’re just TOO heavy for one side. Ugh. So they get pinned back with bobby pins EVERY. DAY. Seriously in need of a new look. If mine had been as cute as yours from the start, maybe I would have given them a fair chance….(ok, and done venting)
    Also, any chance you can post a mini-tutorial on how you did the top knot in your bangs photo? I LOVE that and made an attempt at one the other day, but the result was not at all adorable.
    Love your style :) Thanks!

• Reply Helloheather April 5, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Your bangs look lovely, and now I want some! I haven’t been reading your blog too long, but this post really caught my eye. But then…funny…when I was searching around for more heavy bangs inspiration this evening, I’m pretty sure I recognized your words being posted on someone else’s blog. I really hope I’m wrong about this, because A. nobody should have someone else take credit for their writing, and B. I am really very low-drama as far as the internet goes. But..do parts of this article look familiar?

I apologize for stirring up drama if there’s none to stir up. (“Less Fuss” is one of the things I love about your blog!) But I just thought it would be the right thing to do, to at least point it out.

• Reply Jodelle April 6, 2012 at 12:26 am

I *wish* my husband liked bangs! But alas he does not. But for my own information, does your awesome hair girl have advice on how not to spray the junk out of the bangs but keep them “heavy” if your hair is wispy & thin?

• Reply Jocelyn April 6, 2012 at 11:30 am

Wonderful post! I just got back from the hair dresser and *finally* have the bangs I have been craving for ages but didn’t know how to explain to my stylist. Thanks for the great pictures and description.

• Reply Libby April 6, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Do you think the bangs would look good on a round faced girl? I love that the bangs might hide the wrinkles that are brewing, but I’d hate to end up looking like a moon pie face. I do love me some pretty bangs though.

• Reply Frilling Friday: Random Links from Birthday Week. | You Frill Me April 20, 2012 at 10:04 am

[…] The only thing I regret about having the hair I have (well, one of the things.  But don’t get me wrong – I like my hair.) is that I can’t have luscious bangs.  Covet. […]

• Reply Friday Features | waving the white flag | sunnysideup April 27, 2012 at 4:16 pm

[…] Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of making a hair change, and when I read her post on how to have awesome bangs, I felt inspired to take on the idea of bangs.  I may have gotten my hair cut yesterday.  […]

• Reply Elizabeth May 6, 2012 at 1:53 am

I love your bangs! I’ve tried side bangs and full across but I must have had them cut too thin because they were WAY too wispy and messy looking. I wonder if that’s just because I have thin blonde hair…I tried hairspray, blow drying, etc… but I’ve now resorted to just pinning them back… Maybe next time I’ll have to have them cut on the “heavy” side and see if it helps!

Great post!

• Reply Rebecca (Foodie With Family) May 30, 2012 at 11:44 am

I do have one more question. Would you could you demonstrate that sweet chic updo you’re wearing with the bangs? :-)

• Reply Maggie May 31, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Hmm… Have you seen this?

Do you have an alias, or is somethin’ a fishy goin’ on? (this was posted about a week after yours).

• Reply Kelsey June 21, 2012 at 11:10 am

I love your hair! You’ve given me courage. I have had a super cute heavy half moon banged haircut pinned for a while now…just trying to get enough courage to go for it. After consulting with my family and seeing this post I’m going for it!! Only thing I’m worried about is them being constantly in my way. Have you been annoyed at them at all?

• Reply Carrie June 26, 2012 at 11:50 am

Super helpful post, thank you!
    I just got some heavy bangs this morning (had been wanting them for a while) and I LOVE them!

• Reply Rochelle June 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I have been re-reading this post for some time now. I really really want heavy bangs! I am worried, 1- I have mega thick coarse hair. 2 – it’s seaweed wavy. 3 – I have two cowlicks in the front. 4 – I have a short/small forehead. I know it says that it’ll be fine with cowlicks and wavy/curly hair if you blow them dry right away. But will all 4 of these things together equal a no no? I had a short asymmetrical pixie a few years back with a swoopy bang and it worked great. I guess I’m mostly worried that my short forehead will mean they’ll look funny or i’ll disappear under there. Is there any way to tell?. How in the world do you find a go-to hair person?

• Reply Cortnie July 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Just heard your interview on Simple Mom and I have to admit I was drawn in by this post! It’s awesome and straightforward and just in time for my upcoming hair appointment!

• Reply Greatness in Blogland this Week July 15, 2012 at 6:25 pm

[…] at The Tiny Twig wrote a post on her bangs. (I may have been 1 of the people tweeting questions of how she gets her bangs to look […]

• Reply jordyn August 6, 2012 at 9:02 pm

hey! i just got heavy bangs & found this post very helpful, thank you!
    also, wanted to let you know that someone copied part of your post onto their blog: http://girlsguideto.com/article/hair-how-awesome-heavy-bangs i read both after googling “heavy bangs” and i thought they sounded eerily similar. just a heads up.

• Reply lmichelle August 12, 2012 at 8:09 pm

hi! love you site!!! this may be a super random question but what type of camera do you use? im looking to buy a new one and i love the clarity of your pics!! keep up the amazing work!God bless

• Reply amy August 28, 2012 at 11:39 pm

hi great review,i was just wondering how to keep your front bangs after washing them.My friends and i went to water park and they had front bangs to but after getting wet there bangs magically fell back to place after they dried they didnt even use heat! and i was the only one with my bangs to the side because if i put them to the front they look bad they stick out forward from the bottom idk if its cuz my hair is naturally curly or if im doin something wrong?? and if u can give me tips how to keep your front bangs lasting all day.I just went back to skool and its mostly an outside skool and its always very hot. just anything to keep it from getting to straight and from seperating and my lenghth when i straighten it is a lil after my eyebrows and when its wet its like a lil in my eyes soo any tips would be great!! thanks!!

• Reply Kelly September 8, 2012 at 3:30 am

I have the same problem as Amy. I have to use a little curl in my bangs or else they’re just stick straight or slightly flip out. If my bangs were to get wet and dry naturally it would be awful! I do the same after I go swimming, they get pushed off to the side. — I have a feeling it might have to do with the cut, too.

• Reply Kelly September 8, 2012 at 3:27 am

What I want to know, is how to make that bun! I’ve tried a few times and I can’t seem to get it.

• Reply kaelyn September 27, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Just came across your site. What great bangs you have :] I have been thinking of taking the plunge but have beach wavy curly hair (different from tight curly hair of course) and am also in a new town and haven’t found my hair girl. I might have to hold off for a bit. . .plus-are heavy bangs as good on blondes? I’m just not sure they have the same affect. .

• Reply Reba Clark November 8, 2012 at 10:54 am

I have been dying to get heavy bangs forever and was about to get them and then luckily my husband proposed right before I was going to get them… I didn’t want bangs for my wedding. So now that we are married, I’m thinking about them again and he says he doesn’t want me too. How can I convince him it’s a good idea, or should I just do it?! Help!

• Reply Jessica November 15, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Last year I decided on bangs and some days I CANNOT get them to sit right at all. I love the full bangs look but my hair is curly by nature and the issue is always at the base of my bangs (underneath) . Do u have ANY advice?? This is driving me crazy and I just want a good hair day! Lol

Btw, Im so jealous of your hair. :)

• Reply dress for the day: no brainer blog style [and giveaway] November 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

[…] hayley morgan of the tiny twig has been a style icon of the blogosphere since she showed us how to wear our heavy bangs and put together a no brainer wardrobe. now she’s turned her attention to focusing your blog […]

• Reply Francesca brown June 25, 2013 at 4:12 am

Just so you know, whilst cutting my fringe yesterday, I totally tried this and my bangs look incredible!!!! i’ve had bangs for pretty much all my life and they have never looked this good. for real, you have saved my hair life! xo

• Reply Summer Bustard June 29, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Hello there.. This post couldn’t be written any better.. Going through this article reminds me of my previous roommate.. He continually kept talking about this.. I am going to send this information to him.. Fairly certain he will have a good read.. Thank you for sharing! Richmond Roofing Service, 6731 Pickett Dr., Richmond, TX, 77469, US, 281-973-7855

• Reply www.youtube.com July 13, 2013 at 9:59 am

Hi there, after reading this awesome article i am too
    happy to share my know-how here with friends.

• Reply Hayashi July 24, 2013 at 11:02 am

Hey, i wanted to ask, how should i tell my hairstylist to style my bangs? What are the different ways of styling? Thanks.

• Reply Taking The Plunge With Skinny Jeans And Bangs July 26, 2013 at 10:53 pm

[…] not something you do on a whim. I’d read a post on “The Tiny Twig”  some months back about having awesome heavy bangs, and I’d toyed with the idea ever since. What would I look like with bangs? Would I be that […]

• Reply Nicole Sapp August 7, 2013 at 12:40 pm

You are truly an inspiration, i have wanted bangs for almost two years now and because of you i had the courage to get them. some of my friends dont like them, but i like them so much it doesnt bother me a bit, theyre perfect to me. yours are gorgeous, thankyou so much

Your friend, Nicole Sapp

• Reply 5 favorite drugstore makeup finds | Simple Mom August 19, 2013 at 10:22 pm

[…] color I’m wearing in this picture.  I got so many emails asking what color I was wearing, so I thought I’d share my favorite […]

• Reply Kirby November 1, 2013 at 8:51 pm

You look SO MUCH like Zoey Deschanel! Wow!

• Reply Natalie December 27, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I LOVE the way your bangs look! They’re absolutely cute and adorable!
    I have a cowlick which scares me to death when it comes to bangs.
    If big 80’s bangs EVER came back in style, I would be able to ROCK it, but alas, I doubt they ever will!
    Do you think heavy bangs will work for someone with a cowlick?

• Reply abby Winter videos April 2, 2014 at 12:01 am

Please let me know if you’re looking for a author
    for your blog. You have some really good articles and I feel I would be
    a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load
    off, I’d absolutely love to write some material for your
    blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an e-mail if interested.

• Reply web page April 22, 2014 at 1:15 am

The Los Angeles Times newspaper showing a picture of John Griffin, owner of web
    page Pioneer Towncar, said companies that protest the minimum fare get
    extra scrutiny from the Bureau of Transportation. Indeed,
    they said, why don’t we do it all the time within the vehicle”.

• Reply Wet Look Chignon Tutorial The Brave Way To Get Out Of A Hairstyle Rut | Hair Modern Styles July 28, 2014 at 11:21 am

[…] How to have awesome bangs | tiny twig goes out on a Okay, at the beginning of the week i encountered some questions about how to i keep my bangs from looking like “mom bangs”. i think we could substitute “80s. […]

• Reply auto-colorizer for google plus and facebook September 24, 2014 at 12:30 am

Hiya! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your
    site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when viewing
    from my iphone 4. I’m trying to find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this issue.
    If you have any recommendations, please share.

• Reply forex broker singapore September 11, 2015 at 5:11 am