less fuss, The No Brainer Blog

5 post ideas for when you’re dry

We all go through times in life where we’re running dry.  Maybe you’re lacking inspiration, maybe you’re lacking rest, maybe you’re lacking margin.  A lack of any one nourishing thing and you’ll feel parched.

The times when I am driest are times when I’ve become too busy and don’t have white space in my life.  Oftentimes, this correlates with a large or imposing life change.

Because my blog (and it’s other moving parts–eBooks, Influence, and speaking) is a solid part time job–I don’t have the luxury of being dry for too long.

The beginning of this pregnancy was an incredibly weak time for me creatively.  I couldn’t string a dinner plan together, let alone words on a page.  While I did allow myself some grace, I also made plans to get things back on track.  I keep a running list of post ideas in an Evernote notebook.

I thought I’d offer up a shorten version of my “When I Have Nothing to Say” list.

1.  Write a book review.  Give your copy of the book away!

2.  Write your response to a memory you recall.

3.  Make a list of your favorite posts from around the Internet that week.  Write the people you’re featuring, too, it always helps to connect!

4.  Put together a “best of” list.  Could be your favorite books of the year.  Your go-to outfit.  Your five favorite meals.  Make sure to include pictures and links!

5.  Write about something you get complimented about.  You must know something about it if you’re doing it right!

Do you have any “go to” posts?  How do you come up with something to write when you’ve run out of words?  Any tips?

• Reply Victoria@Snailpacetransformations August 16, 2012 at 8:33 am

I keep a running tab of ideas on my i-touch in the notepad app. I often find myself out running, or driving, or shopping, or well just about anywhere when I will suddenly be looking at something or thinking about something and then going “hey that would make a good blog post”. I try to right it down right then in a running tab labeled “blog post ideas” then when I sit down to write and my mind goes blank I grab my i-touch and look at that folder. If that doesn’t work I use my own photo’s on my blog so I will take a look through what I have taken photo’s of lately and see if that sparks and idea.

• Reply susan August 16, 2012 at 9:13 am

i use the tweegram app on my phone to capture quirky bits of conversations. mostly the ones with my kids, but sometimes with other adults… or between me and God.

sometimes i post them to instagram (or my personal facebook account) and sometimes i don’t. i use them as writing prompts, filling in the details of the story.

the bonus is that i have ready-made art work (the original twee gram) that i can pop into the post.

• Reply Naomi August 16, 2012 at 9:54 am

I keep an “everything journal” that I use to write down thoughts and capture blog post ideas. My problem is actually turning them INTO blog posts.

The thing that quite often inspires my blog posts when I’ve got nothing else to say is to open up my “Auto Import” photo folder. Thousands of pictures that I’ve dumped in there and done nothing with! :)

• Reply Tanya August 16, 2012 at 11:14 am

I have a black leather covered notebook where I write down reminders, ideas, topics, etc…when I feel urgency to write I refer to the notebook. In general, topics “appear” from the everyday happenings of living life and raising three small ones. The best part of blogging for me s letting my inner voice out! Great topic1

• Reply Keely (Sky Blue) August 16, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Thanks!! This is helpful:) I’ll have to bookmark and try these.

• Reply sarah August 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I sometimes share a favorite site I’m into, or I will look back at at one year ago and see what I was up to then to possibly inspire me, List of randoms are things I throw in as well. I need to make a list on my phone to jot down ideas while I’m out.

• Reply lauren August 16, 2012 at 2:37 pm

these are great ideas. very helpful. i like to be “fresh” with my ideas but sometimes they just don’t flow. i feel like when i go back to my favorite things, it’s coming from me and just doesn’t feel so forced as when i make myself try to come up with content. if that makes any sense.

• Reply blair @ wild & precious August 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm

option #1 really makes me wish i was a reader!

• Reply Nadine S. August 16, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I love option 2. It seems so fun. I’ll have to do that. :)

• Reply The Life of Clare August 16, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Thanks so much for sharing! I find that sometimes I get so caught up in life that I forget to post, or I just can’t come up with any ideas! Having this list is a great resources!

• Reply Amber August 17, 2012 at 12:04 am

I’m enjoying this series!

Today, feeling uninspired, I blogged about what music I’ve been listening to lately. It was fun to write and loosened my words up for other projects.

• Reply Trina {Beginner Beans} August 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Thank you for the ideas! I keep saying I’m going to write book reviews and give away my copies… seeing that suggestion here reminds me it’s time to just do it :)

When I’m feeling uninspired I…
    {1} take a break. I’ll have devotional time, hang out at the bookstore, or let the kids play at the park while I brainstorm with pen and paper. I usually walk away excited about at least one thing to share.
    {2} interview someone. I share profiles of friends that use cloth diapers, or interview someone on a category I’m working on for my monthly resolution. For instance, my monthly resolution for August is to take a photo-a-day. I’ve been using all my extra time to take, edit, and share photos, so I interviewed five awesome photographers to share relevant content during my “absence” of words.

• Reply Megan August 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm

This comes at such a perfect time for me. My blogging partner has gone back to work as school has started, and our busy summer is turning into a quiet fall – what to blog about?? Thank you for the ideas!

• Reply Corrie Anne August 18, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Love those ideas. We all have those days. I do a lot of workouts & recipes, but I’ve been branching out a little. :) Love your bangs post!!

• Reply Mandi Durborough August 23, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Love it thanks! these are great ideas

• Reply eileen marie August 28, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Well said. I don’t have any real intention of starting my own blog, but I love the way you described “free time” as white space. I feel like it is at a premium right now btwn trying to sell our place & buy another, starting a new job, and taking a night class. Ay caramba!

• Reply Helena October 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Love this! I keep a little notebook for post ideas. I also email myself reminders if I’m on-the-go.