my life

summer reading

I love reading, and I read much more prolifically in the summer than any other time of the year.  This summer, my reading list includes some great titles.

Simplicity Parenting || Wild || Love Does || All There Is || Still || The Sacredness of Questioning Everything

Have you read any of them?  What is on your summer reading list?  I want to compile a Tiny Twig Readers’ Reading List!

• Reply Anne June 14, 2012 at 7:27 am

Wild didn’t even make it onto my summer reading list (which is at because I finished it too fast. Quite fascinating. I finished State of Wonder from my list already too – also quite fascinating.

I love Lauren Winner – will have to check out this new one!

• Reply Tiny Twig June 14, 2012 at 11:37 am

Oh! I’m DYING to read it! So glad you thought it was worthwhile. :)

• Reply Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy June 14, 2012 at 7:39 am

Still and Love Does are on my to-read list, but I haven’t read any of those yet. This summer, I’m also reading Cold Tangerines, All is Grace, Jen Hatmaker’s Interrupted, and some fun new releases like Gone Girl and Calico Joe.

I had a lot of fun putting together this free summer reading guide for my own blog:

• Reply Tiny Twig June 14, 2012 at 11:38 am

LOVE your reading guide. I think you might be the most prolific reader I know!

• Reply keely June 14, 2012 at 8:20 am

I just finished Holding on to Hope, by Nancy Guthrie. I’m in the middle of re-reading The Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay for a book club at church. I’ll also be reading some Jane Austen- just not sure which one yet!

• Reply Tiny Twig June 14, 2012 at 11:40 am

Oh! Good choices! I’ll have to check them out more.

• Reply Kelly June 14, 2012 at 8:50 am

Great list! I’m going to add Simplicity Parenting to my list. Thanks!

• Reply Tiny Twig June 14, 2012 at 11:41 am

Simplicity Parenting is SO good. Very counter-cultural, in a good way. :)

• Reply Rebecca Stewart June 14, 2012 at 9:38 am

Yesterday I ordered a collection of 6 C.S. Lewis books, who I’m embarrassed to say I have never read. I’m excited about starting with Mere Christianity. I’ve heard of several of the books you mentioned and am itching to read them, too. Please let us know how they are!

• Reply Tiny Twig June 14, 2012 at 11:36 am

C.S. Lewis is dense for me! It takes me quite some time to get through his stuff. It’s so good, but I like to chew on it for awhile. :)

• Reply courtney @ larking. June 14, 2012 at 10:30 am

1. A House and Its Head (supposed to be very Downton Abbey-esque, so I’m excited)
    2. Simplicity Parenting (we’re twins!)
    3. Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand
    4. NOT 50 Shades of Grey ;)

• Reply Tiny Twig June 14, 2012 at 11:35 am

I haven’t watch Downton, but I’ve heard so so many bloggers LOVE it. Would you suggest it?

• Reply courtney @ larking. June 14, 2012 at 11:38 am

Downton is addicting, that’s for sure! It’s hard not to get really invested in the characters’ lives.

• Reply Kasey M. June 18, 2012 at 8:05 am

Courtney, I’m waiting (very impatiently) for the next season of Dowton Abby. Did you start A House and It’s Head? Does it help the Dowton Abby withdraw symptoms? I may have to download the book onto my kindle.

• Reply Sarah June 14, 2012 at 10:41 am

Hey Haley! I’ve wanted to read Lauren Winner’s Still for quite some time. Let us know how it is after you read it! It’s on my list.

• Reply Tiny Twig June 14, 2012 at 11:34 am

i will! i think i’m going to do a review and giveaway of each of these books after i’m done. :)

• Reply Jess June 14, 2012 at 11:50 am

I actually finished reading All There Is last night; it’s a short read but absolutely amazing. I would definitely recommend it. There’s a section in the middle—about lost loves—that is just heartbreaking and sad but also beautiful.

Love Does looks great, so thanks for the recommendation. I also have Simplicity Parenting on my list, even though I’m not a mom. (I feel like it’s good to build the arsenal now so that in the next 5-10 years I’m not completely in the dark!)

I’m aiming to read 30 books before Labor Day!

• Reply mandie June 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I’m going through the Grace for the Good Girl book club and I purchased Les Miserables on audible & kindle for a looong listen/read. :)

• Reply mandie June 14, 2012 at 12:07 pm

also, I have read Girl Meets God a few times by Lauren F Winner & had no idea about her latest book. I’m glad you shared that- I’m going to grab that too!

• Reply alison holcomb June 14, 2012 at 1:29 pm

love does is AMAZING. bob goff is an amazing writer and i’m now dying to be his bestie. he really makes you think and to get out of the box.

a couple on my list are:

Wild Goose Chase: Reclaim the Adventure of Pursuing God
    and the circle maker by mark batterson

• Reply jamie June 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm

i love this idea! inspired me to build my own list of what i’m reading during the summer… i’m currently enjoying the stuart mclean series… very easy to read and FUNNY. especially for those with families, who understand the hilarity of the day to day.
    thanks for sharing – and inspiring!

• Reply Darcy @ Message in a Mason Jar June 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm

The only one on this list I’ve seen is Lauren Winner’s book. They all look good, especially the Strayed and Miller choices. As for me, I’m doing some re-reading this summer, delving deep into Anne Morrow Lindbergh’s Gift from the Sea in my series here: And I’m re-reading One Thousand Gifts for an in-person book club that my mom is leading. I’m loving all the jewels I’m finding as I comb through these amazing works for the second time!

• Reply Tiny Twig June 19, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Gifts from the Sea is one of my of my top 5 all time faves! I think it should be required reading for all women. :)

• Reply Darcy @ Message in a Mason Jar June 19, 2012 at 4:40 pm

There were some passages in this week’s chapter, Channeled Whelk, that made me think about what you wrote in your posts “What is required?” and “We’ve been so busy”. Anne Morrow Lindbergh said that we should “ask how little, not how much, can I get along with. To say–is it necessary?–when I am tempted to add one more accumulation to my life, when I am pulled toward one more centrifugal activity.” Simplicity takes the pressure off, makes me so much nicer to be around. I’m really trying this summer to leave lots of open space for just enjoying the people and things that I’m already committed to.

• Reply Rachel June 14, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I would highly recommend Sarah’s Key and The Paris Wife. Both are historical fiction and are good books to get you thinking. Sarah’s key is an account of the The Vel’ d’Hiv roundup in Paris during World War II, and The Paris Wife is about Hemmingway’s first wife, Hadley. I’m about to read UnChristian… It came highly recommended by someone at my church.

• Reply Julie June 14, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Still is an AWESOME book- it will be worth reading twice :)

• Reply eileen marie June 15, 2012 at 12:12 am

I’m struggling through Fifty Shades -not very well written & very contrived. It’s not even “chick lit” -pure smut. Next is The Journal of Best Practices (about a man w/ Aspberger Syndrome & his struggles w/ marriage). Next is In Cold Blood. I’ve already chewed down all 3 Hunger Games, The Power of Less (audiobook for my commute), & Strengthsfinder 2.0. My reading “log” doubles once summer rolls around -last day of school was today!

• Reply Tiny Twig June 19, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I’ve been wanting to read Best Practices! Saw a review in a mag a few months ago. ALSO, read In Cold Blood many years ago and it’s haunting.

• Reply Elizabeth June 15, 2012 at 12:30 am

I just finished reading Still and enjoyed it-her book Girl Meets God is one of my favorite memoirs. Simplicity Parenting was on my list last summer, and I still reference back to it occasionally. He has some great insight into raising kids in this generation.

This summer I’ve decided to not make a list and just read what looks interesting or what is recommended to me. Jen Hatmaker’s Interrupted is next-I loved 7.

• Reply Megan at SortaCrunchy June 15, 2012 at 8:25 am

I’ve kind of had a hankering for some classics lately. Some Austen or maybe even the sparseness of Hemingway. (I think Hemingway is good for summer.)

I have so say that Bob Goff book looks SO INSPIRING. Might have to check that one out sooner rather than later!

• Reply Trina {Beginner Beans} June 15, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Thank you for the recommendations!! I was just hitting a reading rut, and this will get me through that perfectly :)

• Reply anastasia June 17, 2012 at 5:42 am

i love reading about book recommendations – ive got some craft books on my wish list right now but Ive also got ‘heaven is here’ by blogger stephanie nielson on my bedside table waiting for me to read it!! Im still finishing ‘Hunger Games’ trilogy upto the last book – fast, simple reads but Im glued!!!

• Reply Nicole June 17, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Simplicity Parenting changed my life! I’m currently reading Because He Loves Me by Elyse Fitzpatrick and it is rocking me in a good way. I’m also still making my way through Spirit-Led Parenting which is fab, and I just started listening to Give Them Grace.

• Reply Tanya S. June 20, 2012 at 8:47 am

Thanks for sharing! Great suggestions! I can’t wait to check some of these out.

• Reply Erin K June 21, 2012 at 9:03 am

I think I will add Simplicity Parenting to my list as well! I’m excited to read Kisses from Katie this summer. You can find the rest of my list [and my other summer goals at I’m looking for some good fiction reads for the summer. Any suggestions?

• Reply wild – cheryl strayed | Tiny Twig Goes Out on a Limb June 22, 2012 at 5:00 am

[…] appears on my summer reading list and was chosen by Oprah for the first book of her Book Club […]

• Reply Haleigh July 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm

What a good list! Hopefully your summer reading is going well. I loved Love Does and am going to reread it so I can soak up what I missed the first time. Some of these suggestions will have to make it onto my list as well.

• Reply Rita July 30, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I just read the book Gone Girl during our vacation and I thought it was great. It’s very well written, with some twists and turns. Highly recommend it!