Cooking & Meal Planning, less fuss

real food fast

Okay, so I’m on a mission this summer to figure out how to feed my family as wholesomely as possible.  We’ll probably never be a 100% organic, Paleo-diet, sugar-free, no food dye people.  After all, I do love Diet Mt. Dew (a girl can have 1 vice, right?  it’s poison…I know).

This spring, Husband and I decided to ask best friends of ours to share a large garden plot at my grandparent’s house.  It’s too big for us to garden (or as I like to say, “farm”) ourselves, but we thought it would be manageable with another family.  Plus, we imagined hot summer days spent together in community–doing life, growing food, watching the babies eat raspberries off the bush.  Right??

I am going to have all of this wholesome, beautiful food and not know what to do with, I’m afraid.  But, Trina Holden has come to my rescue.  She wrote a really helpful eBook called Real {Fast} Food.  It is the No Fuss kind of way to eat in a more wholesome way.

You know I can’t stand fussy sorts of things.  I think I’m allergic to fuss.  In reality, if it doesn’t work for my lifestyle–I’m not going to do it.  Some parts of Real {Fast} Food may seem impractical for your lifestyle (like I can’t go grocery shopping once per month, I know I’d dread it).  But, where some parts may not fit your lifestyle, Trina has more than made up for in really simple and easy answers to eating better as a family.

Who knew that soaking grains was good for you?  I had heard murmurings that this was the case, but didn’t have a clue why.  Now, because of Real {Fast} Food, I know that it helps with digestion and actually makes a fluffier end product.  Not only does Trina explain the reasons behind her decisions in wholesome cooking–but she maps out the best way to go about adding a certain practice to your lifestyle.

What I think I like most about the eBook is that it isn’t an all or nothing kind of thing.  Absolutely nothing will make me walk away from a “lifestyle” faster than rigidity.  I simply believe that every family, every person, has unique idiosyncrasies which make them unique.  No one plan fits everyone.  We pick and choose our way through life, hoping to land on a good marriage of good-for-us and smart-for-us.  That’s the case with Real {Fast} Food.

I’m really excited to use some of the things I’ve learned in the eBook to make our way through summer eating.  I think we’ll try to work on some sort of hybrid kind of healthy eating.  I’m pretty sure I’ve learned enough from Trina to get me started.

real {fast} food

• Reply Alana @ Domestic Bliss Diaries April 26, 2012 at 7:31 am

I share your mission to begin to feed my family good, wholesome foods. Gonna add this book to my wish list!

• Reply Tiny Twig April 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm

truly, if it were up to me…i’d eat takeout pizza every night. BUT, i don’t think that’s the best health (or budget) wise…so alas, fresher and more whole foods it is! :)

• Reply Jill April 26, 2012 at 8:55 am

Eric made pancake batter and left it in the fridge over night. This morning he made the pancakes and I was amazed at how fluffy and delicious they were!!! I need to check out this ebook!!!

• Reply Tiny Twig April 27, 2012 at 12:12 pm

come see the garden this weekend…everything is HUGE. i could use some help thinning the lettuce… :)

• Reply Catherine Denton April 26, 2012 at 10:11 am

I’m completely with you on the no-fuss thing. It’s gotta fit our life. I want to get to a better place with how we’re eating so thanks for the book recommendation.
    Catherine Denton

• Reply Tiny Twig April 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm

yes! if it doesn’t fit our life–it doesn’t come in. that’s just kind of the place i’ve gotten to.

• Reply Sarah Crisp April 26, 2012 at 10:39 am

That is great about your shared garden! Keep us updated with results!

The ebook sounds interesting. I know I couldn’t go to the store only once a month either (and I’m not even sure that’s healthy). All of our fresh fruits and veggies wouldnt last a month!

I used to drink the dew in college. No judgment. My dentist did convince me to quit. Years later I noticed their is vegetable oil in the ingredient list…. What??? Why is that in a soda? Ha!

• Reply Tiny Twig April 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm

i went out to the garden yesterday and everything was HUGE! much bigger than these pictures (which were about a week ago). BUT, we had a hard freeze last night…so i’m nervous! although–these are early planters, so they should be okay…

• Reply Gretchen April 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm

This, too, is why I love Trina’s book. I don’t menu plan. I shop sales weekly and eat whatever’s currently in abundance in the garden. But her book gave me the freedom to pick and choose what methods I followed, and taught me a whole lot more in the meantime!

• Reply Tiny Twig April 27, 2012 at 12:09 pm

yes! that’s what we do, too. i do menu plan for the week–but that’s just because i’ve learned if i don’t then i want to order pizza every night. not economical, that pizza delivery. ;)

• Reply Real {Fast} Food – review & giveaway! | From: The Little Pink House April 26, 2012 at 4:49 pm

[…] at The Tiny Twig […]

• Reply tiffany April 26, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Thank you so much for your post. My holistic doctor has me on the allergy elimination diet at the moment. It has kicked started my husband and I eating “real” foods. We always wanted to be wise about our food choices but didn’t know how or where to start. A helpful blog I’ve been reading is Check it out!

Thanks for the review on Real {Fast} Food! I had not heard about it before and am now excited to be finding more and more resources on ways to eat real whole food!

• Reply Tiny Twig April 27, 2012 at 12:08 pm

oh! i’d love to hear about your allergy thing. i have alllll kinds of food allergies and i feel like it makes me about 54% less healthy than i could be if i could get them all managed.

• Reply tiffany April 27, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I bought their cookbook The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook and it has helped me through the Elimination process. Also, my holistic doctor has me on some detox supplements for a short period of time to rid the toxins that build up in the liver and cause problems.

• Reply Emily April 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Thanks for this Hayley! I’m so excited to get diggin’ in the dirt again this year!
    AND you read my mind yet again about what’s happening with our family – we are adopting a more whole-foods diet..perfect timing!

• Reply Tiny Twig April 27, 2012 at 12:06 pm

maybe you should move next door? probably would make the mind-reading thing easier. ;)

• Reply Emily April 27, 2012 at 11:47 pm

yet another GREAT idea :)

• Reply Cheri @ Sharing Cheri April 26, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Love that you have life growing in your garden. I don’t have room for a garden, but hubs and I are working on figuring a way (raised garden/container garden). In the meantime, my toddler and I planted seeds for basil and parsley. He is so excited to see how they grow every day. He asks to see them all the time. Just last night, we made new pots for the plants and he was so excited until he saw that a few weren’t doing well. He said they were sad and crying. :) We put them in new homes, watered them and now “momma, they’re happy”. So fun. Enjoy and thanks for the book review/recommendation!

• Reply Tiny Twig April 27, 2012 at 12:07 pm

i’ts really beautiful to see kids appreciate growth. i think it really gives them a perspective on life that they have a hard time getting otherwise.

• Reply Natalie @ NS Pottery April 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Eeek! This kind of talk gets me all excited!!!! (I’m weird, I know) ;) We soak grains at my house, but I know it’s something that not many people have heard about. Going to check out that book when I get time later!

• Reply Trina Holden April 29, 2012 at 9:57 am

Hayley, I’m so excited about your garden! I’m the same way about sprouts of green and my little rhubarb plant – feels like a daily celebration when we go and check on the garden.
    LOVED your review and hearing your take on my book. Thanks so much for sharing it with your readers!

• Reply Anna April 30, 2012 at 1:50 am

I am so jealous of your garden plans I can’t even tell you. I look forward to purchasing and reading this book. Back when it was just my husband and I eating better wasn’t super important. It’s amazing how having a little one changes your perspective and your focus in daily living. Thanks for the great review.

• Reply Jacquie Snell April 30, 2012 at 4:45 pm

oh my where did you get those raspberry bushes? LOVE

• Reply Real {Fast} Food: In The Press! | All That Is Good May 1, 2012 at 9:16 am

[…] Jessica at Something Simple, Laurie at Homemaker’s Challenge, Charla at Cheaper and Fresher, Hayley at Tiny Twig,  and Mandy at Daily Cup of Grace. You’re […]

• Reply Jacquie Snell May 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Hayley, will you be sharing about how you are implementing the real food real easy into your daily life? I am wanting less fuss in my life and love all your posts on simplicity and passion. Soaking grains just sounds so intimidating and I would really love to hear more about what you will be doing with the your garden and less fuss :) Hoping to see some blog posts in the future! Blessings

• Reply erin mckool July 1, 2012 at 9:27 am

Finally: we will have a a fast food restaurant serving real food (and organic beer/wine and fair trade organic coffee) in Dallas! I like to call it “slow food, fast.”