more passion, passion proposition

find the other crazy people

The flame of passion can be flamed when you are with the right people. There is something about meeting with like-minded friends that makes a passionate heart sing. Someone who gets it when you “talk shop” will see you through when the passionate work becomes a task and almost drudgery (and it will at times!).

Finding kindred spirits, people who speak your language, people who are as excited about your passion as you are…that is invaluable!

I need to tell you something. That person probably isn’t your husband. Very probably isn’t your boyfriend.  Chances are, it isn’t your best friend. Most likely it isn’t your mom. See, passions sometimes make us “unique” or some may say “crazy”. :) Normally what you are crazy about is also the thing that sets you apart from your crowd. So, just be warned, you may have to look outside of your normal social circle to find comrades in your passion.

BUT, it’s so worth it! I promise, if you can seek out (either online or in person–either is fine!!) a friend (or 5!) that shares your passion, you will find your zeal and energy increased and multiplied. The best part is, your new friends’ giftings are probably different than yours, so you will both gain a powerful ally as you grow.

The Internet Age is an age like no other. We are no longer bound by our geography. We can connect with like-minded people like never before. Sharing information, encouraging, leveraging, educating in real time. These are all things that were impossible just a decade ago.

You were made for such a time as this, with your unique passion, and your special strengths. Just think, there are probably hundreds, maybe thousands of others out there that share your excitement. Can you image connecting with them, planning and dreaming with them? What big things could you make happen if you could just find a kindred spirit?

Do you know what you are passionate about?  Do you have a place to connect with those people?  If not, leave it in the comments and maybe the Tiny Twig community has some inside information and can help!

• Reply Sierra April 16, 2012 at 7:49 am

Inspiring article! I am working on this right now. Sometimes people are reluctant to share with you because they think you’re going to steal their secrets or whatever. But I’ve found a few gems that are so passionate and helpful that they keep the flames of excitement burning for my projects. :)

• Reply Tiny Twig April 16, 2012 at 11:06 am

it does take time to find people who will cheer you on and share. BUT, i think it helps so much when you have something to offer, too. people are drawn to people who share generously. i think Tsh at is such a great example of a generous person in blog-world. :)

• Reply Heidi April 16, 2012 at 9:27 am

another EXCELLENT and SUPER ENCOURAGING post! Have a GREAT day and BE BLESSED!

• Reply Tiny Twig April 16, 2012 at 11:07 am

thanks so much, heidi. i always try to have an encouraging bit, so it’s good to hear that it is being received that way. :)

• Reply Catherine Denton April 16, 2012 at 10:08 am

My passion right now is my blog and my art. This is kind of vulnerable to say, but I LOVE writing posts. It’s where I can put all the things I love in life: my art, life lessons, and fun DIY’s. I find connection on my blog with like-minded souls. I have many online buddies, but no one as yet that’s working to grow their blog in the same way I am. I’d love to discover a blogging bff who’s as obsessed with blogging as me and wouldn’t mind strategizing and talking shop.
    Catherine Denton

• Reply Tiny Twig April 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

i have a blogging BFF (Maggie at and she and I make it a priority to chat over Skype once per week and text a lot during the week, too. She’s become one of my dearest friends, and it’s great to have someone in your corner. I’d encourage you to reach out to someone who seems to be moving in the same direction and just see if there is any interest in meeting regularly to “talk shop”. That’s what Maggie and I did and it’s been so fruitful!

• Reply Emily April 16, 2012 at 11:25 am

I hope that you find someone to connect with, Catherine!

• Reply Emily April 16, 2012 at 11:22 am

Nothing beats the heart thumping excitement when you get to share your passion with someone who ‘gets it’. Hoorah for the internet for facilitating these types of relationships!

• Reply Mandy April 16, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Love this and have thoroughly enjoyed your passion series so far! I haven’t really found anyone so far who shares my passion for helping children through medical mission work, but I’m sure that I will meet some as I continue on my medical journey. Thanks for writing such encouraging posts!

• Reply Sarah April 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Haley, thanks so much for this! I absolutely agree — when you find someone who is the same sort of crazy, it’s like the energy feeds off each other and just grows! Beautiful stuff!

• Reply Adina | Gluten Free Travelette April 16, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I love this post! I feel like all these posts in the passion series are helping to push me along my path of pursuing my passions and dreams. It’s wonderful to look here everyday and continue to feel inspired!
    I suppose I’m in a similar place as Sierra – currently working on finding my niche of buddies.
    This post reminds me a bit of the Think Different campaign from Apple – I’ve been carrying around the text from “The Crazy Ones” in my wallet for over a decade now.

• Reply Bree April 16, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Oh thank goodness–I thought I was the only one!

• Reply Renee April 16, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Loving your post – making me thinking about my passions! Travel, photography, creative writing, wine and beer tastings, etc. Have a Great Week:)

• Reply Tiny Twig April 18, 2012 at 10:07 am

that sounds like an awesome event of some kind! :) a creative writing and photography retreat–somewhere awesome–with great beer and wine mixed in. do you like to plan events at all?

• Reply Anna April 21, 2012 at 12:55 am

I am working on this currently too. I’ve always found it so hard to put myself out there since I’ve never really dealt well with rejection. But I’m feeling passionate about my blogging and I’m loving posting, and it’s helping that I’m feeling braver about commenting on other peoples blogs. I’m hoping that I’ll find people that I can share my passions and thoughts with and who will feel equally happy to do the same with me. I’d love to have a blogging bff who shares my blogging heart.

• Reply inspiration-driven links: week of 4.15.12 « inspiration-driven life April 21, 2012 at 9:24 am

[…] Find the other crazy people (The Tiny Twig) — finding others who are just as passionate as we are enhances what we’re setting out to do. It’s a community, simply put. […]

• Reply Sheila @ Seasoned Joy April 21, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I would love to find a blogging BFF – I’m just timid when it comes to making that approach, fearing rejection. I need to get braver!