more passion, passion proposition

rest in not a dirty word

This weary world moans for it.

We race from stimuli to stimuli, ever seeking more.  Boredom is a dirty word.

But, remember.  Remember.

Do you remember summer vacation as a child?  A great big sigh at first, a welcome respite from a year worked hard.  Then, summertime lulled into a rhythm nourishing your soul.  Full of joy and fireflies and memories and things opposite of No. 2 pencils and lockers.  Finally, as the August days pushed forward and the heat became oppressive, the boredom sets in.

That boredom.  Did your mom make you sit in it?  “Only boring people are bored.”  Find your own fun, read a book, clean your room.

Those days of boredom then gave birth to an anticipation for new school supplies, a new routine, more structure.  The familiar smells of pencil shavings and school glue–ripe with fresh starts and new beginnings.  It was in those waning days of summer that my motivation and my passion returned, with the promise of the beginning again, but renewed and not weary.

That’s the inspiration I need to sustain my passionate life.  I need the promise of beginning again, but renewed not weary.  And that only comes after rest.

For the rest of this series, check out The Passion Proposition.

• Reply Anna April 10, 2012 at 6:41 am

I agree rest is so important. It can be a dirty word – coming with a lot of guilt and condemnation. I think especially if you’re self employed I know in the past I’ve been very bad about allowing myself to stop, particularly if things aren’t very fruitful.
    Love this series so much. Really interesting and fun not knowing what’s coming next. It’s not predictable which I am loving, look forward to clicking on to your site in the mornings to see the new post.
    Can I say too I think your site is really attractive and the pics you choose I appreciate too. Someone walked past the computer the other day and looked over my shoulder at your blog and said “they’re lovely colours”. It just seems outrageous you provide all this for free…! I feel bad about that so just so you know, I would pay to read! X

• Reply Tiny Twig April 10, 2012 at 11:32 pm

aw thanks, friend! that makes my day! xoxo.

• Reply Cheri @ Sharing Cheri April 10, 2012 at 7:14 am

Wonderful! Yes, rest… an elusive word in my life. Something I need desperately frequently. I agree with Anna and you that at times it comes with guilt and condemnation. Rest- the reason that while I bring work home, I don’t get it done at home because I need time with my son and hubby and yet time for myself. Rest- what I need to feel energized and creative. Rest, beautiful, wonderful rest. Thank you again, Hayley.

• Reply Tiny Twig April 10, 2012 at 11:30 pm

i actually end up looking forward to my husband’s semi-regular short biz trips, because i can get a prolific amount of work done while he’s gone. during the day, i want/need to be with the boys…during the evening, i want/need to be with Husband. sometimes, i need to be by myself to rest and be by myself to work. :) learning and deciding what that looks like for me and my family.

• Reply Mandie April 10, 2012 at 9:05 am

Oh, yes!! I have been learning and exercising this in the last month or so- I closed my busy etsy shop and have more time to spend doing things at home and supporting my busy hubby. I’ve also had more time to rest, which has honestly led to more creativity without guilt! It’s beautiful!

• Reply Tiny Twig April 10, 2012 at 11:26 pm

was it a total sigh of relief to close the shop…probably both a relief and a terror! i think i have more creative juice when i have good margin and lots of rest. i’m always a creative fountain of ideas when i’m on vacation…always excited to get home to get started on all my new ideas!

• Reply Heidi April 10, 2012 at 9:17 am

Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Matt. 11:28 NLT

This is an excellent post! Thank you for sharing! Have a great day!

• Reply Button Bird Designs April 10, 2012 at 9:21 am

• Reply Annie April 10, 2012 at 10:39 am

I love this perspective on rest – I can so relate to the summer vacation analogy, and have never thought about the little rests in my day, my week, that way. Thank you!

• Reply Jennifer Campbell April 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I definitely need rest. Like, a week without kids and housework. Ahhhh….

• Reply Tiny Twig April 10, 2012 at 11:22 pm

when i have that long without the kids, i feel this enormous pressure to MAKE something out of my rest…like feel REALLY refreshed and like a new woman, etc etc. then, i feel such pressure that i feel like i can’t relax! :)

• Reply 17 Perth April 10, 2012 at 9:06 pm

This is so amazingly true. I suffered from “busyness” for years…….Years! I finally discovered that I needed to rest…and to not feel guilty for it. I also love Matthew 11:28. Great analogy with the summer vacation.

• Reply Tiny Twig April 10, 2012 at 11:17 pm

me, too, friend. i’m still not great at rest…but, i see the major need for it. i have to force myself to do it still, i’m not to the point where it comes naturally.

• Reply Renee April 10, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Whenever I said I was bored as a child my mom stated 3 things; # go outside and play #2 go find your imagination and get creative and #3 read a book or color. Loving your post!

• Reply Tiny Twig April 10, 2012 at 11:18 pm

yes! same here. and i’m still VERY rarely bored as an adult. i wonder what kids today are going to be like…all these screens, and constant activity, and planned play-dates, etc. eek!

• Reply Jessica Sliman April 11, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Great post. I have a “rest” coming this weekend. I’m going out of town while my husband hangs out with my 2 1/2 year old and my 1 year old girls :) It’s funny…because I am totally looking forward to a child free weekend. Without the structure of life with little ones….but I know that by the time Sunday rolls around, I’ll be craving all the things I couldn’t wait to escape :) (And in my experience, sometimes that feeling comes around before Sunday too!)

• Reply inspiration-driven links, week of 4.8.12 « inspiration-driven life April 14, 2012 at 1:16 pm

[…] is not a dirty word — amen! — part of The Tiny Twig‘s series on […]